Complicated `awk' programs can often be simplified by defining your
own functions. User-defined functions can be called just like built-in
ones ( Function Calls), but it is up to you to define them,
i.e., to tell `awk' what they should do.
* Definition Syntax How to write definitions and what they mean.
* Function Example An example function definition and what it
* Function Caveats Things to watch out for.
* Return Statement Specifying the value a function returns.
* Dynamic Typing How variable types can change at runtime.
automatically generated byinfo2html