Suggested Projects for Improving GNU `diff' and `patch'
One should be able to use GNU `diff' to generate a patch from any
pair of directory trees, and given the patch and a copy of one such
tree, use `patch' to generate a faithful copy of the other.
Unfortunately, some changes to directory trees cannot be expressed using
current patch formats; also, `patch' does not handle some of the
existing formats. These shortcomings motivate the following suggested
* Internationalization Handling multibyte and varying-width characters.
* Changing Structure Handling changes to the directory structure.
* Special Files Handling symbolic links, device special files, etc.
* Unusual File Names Handling file names that contain unusual characters.
* Time Stamp Order Outputting diffs in time stamp order.
* Ignoring Changes Ignoring certain changes while showing others.
* Speedups Improving performance.
automatically generated byinfo2html